1. Abortion is a medical procedure. By criminalizing abortion, the government of South Dakota presumes to know more than the American Medical Association about how doctors should treat their patients.
2. A foetus is not a viable living entity. It has no rights if it resides in the womb. It is a part of the woman who is its host. If it is living outside the womb, its umbilical cord severed, then it is a human baby.
3. It's a pretty strong indication that you're not ready for motherhood - which is an incredibly huge undertaking, let's not forget - if you're seeking an abortion. A lot of mothers get uncerimoniously ditched by Daddy and then are left on their own with the children. Where's the law forcing men to take the responsibiliy of sticking with fatherhood for the long haul? We don't need any more unwanted children in this world.
4. You can't legislate against abortion. You only drive it underground and create more pain and misery in the world by doing so. And some of your daughters will be victims of this policy who will die bleeding out from using a coathanger in a state of panic because they're ashamed to even talk about it to their doctor or their friend or you because they know society has deemed it immoral.
5. Something to think about: Lot's more women die in child-birth - or of complications from pregnancy - than men. I'd say, ballpark, 100% or so.
6. Read this at firedoglake to understand how bizarre anti-abortionists become defending their illogic:
I brought up one of my favorite forced birth conundrums the other day, guaranteed to make wingnut "life begins at conception" heads explode. If a fire breaks out in a fertility clinic and you can only save a petri dish with five blastulae or a two-year old child, which do you save?
We just love Mike Stark, who takes this stuff to the streets. He called Andrew Wilkow's radio talk show and put the question to him, and Wilkow's head did, in fact, explode. He was reduced to a sputtering rage, screaming that he would not, in fact, save the two year-old child.
7. I'm getting sick of this. Just read the Cider House Rules and A Handmaid's Tale. Then rent the DVDs. Then almost die in childbirth carrying a rapist's last sick laugh. Then raise some rapist's child as a single-parent. Then you can come back here and tell me why abortion should not be a woman's choice.
- 30 -