Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Spirit of Montreal - Original Song #40

Every day I pedal to the top of the mountain

To counter the weight of being pulled down and down

And at the top Jacques Cartier left a reminder

Of the sacred place the Hochelagans needed him to see

And he planted a cross as a sign

To get it through thick settlers' skulls like mine

 

CHORUS:

So every time I circle that cross

I pray to the spirit of Montreal

That it might give me the strength

Maybe a plan

To get my baby back home again


You never know what life's going to throw at you

It might be rose petals; sometimes just the thorns

You've got to be ready, hold fast to who you are

We're all bit players; there really ain't no stars


Buddy, you don't know the first thing about what she's going through

Buddy, you don't know the half of all the pain she's seen to

And I don't believe in any god, but I do believe in sacred places

And this place, Mont-Royal, you're my salvation


 

No comments: